This Week In WWE Biz: Roman Reigns Feud, John Cena Vs. Undertaker Plans, Daniel Bryan Cleared, More
March 24, 2018 - WWE
WWE Planning On Doing Roman Reigns Vs. Samoa Joe After WrestleMania 34
WWE already has a post-WrestleMania adversary in mind for Roman Reigns.
According to a Wrestling Observer’s Dave Meltzer (h/t SEScoops), “The Big Dog” is approaching to argument with a returning Samoa Joe following WWE’s biggest pay-per-view of a year:
The stream devise is Reigns to work a module with Samoa Joe after WrestleMania, according to Dave Meltzer. Joe has been out of movement given pang a knee damage behind in January. It’s believed that Joe has been medically privileged to lapse and he was indeed backstage during Monday’s RAW, yet WWE will many approaching wait until a RAW after WrestleMania for his radio return.
WHAT’S IT MEAN FOR WWE?
The news also records that “Samoa Joe is scheduled to work with Roman Reigns in a categorical eventuality of WWE live shows over a subsequent few months, including the…Raw-brand uncover during a Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, NY.”
Advertised live eventuality matches are customarily a clever pointer of WWE’s artistic plans, that means that there is approaching a unequivocally good possibility that we’ll get Reigns vs. Joe as Raw’s tip adversary following WrestleMania 34. Joe has been out of movement given early Jan after pang a critical feet injury, and yet original reports had him returning in time for WrestleMania 34, that positively doesn’t seem to be in a cards as there have been no indications of any WrestleMania adversary for Joe.
Joe vs. Reigns would positively be a large post-WrestleMania argument for Raw as Joe grown into one of WWE’s best and many plausible heel stars final year and has indeed been flattering stable by a booking. The emanate with this adversary is that Joe will be returning from a extensive hiatus, and with Reigns approaching to have usually won a Universal pretension from Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 34, WWE competence not wish to book presumably man to remove given it could harm their momentum.
It’s also value deliberation that there are reports that a Superstar Shakeup will take place in early May, that could chuck substantially all of these skeleton out of a window if Joe or even Reigns is sent to SmackDown, yet a latter is unequivocally unlikely. There are also approaching to be a series of vital earnings during or after WrestleMania that could chuck a wrench into these skeleton and outcome in Reigns carrying a opposite argument to keep Raw viewership going clever after WrestleMania 34.
CHECK THIS OUT
— Ringside News (@RingsideNewscom) March 22, 2018
When Will The Undertaker Return To WWE TV?
WHAT’S THE DEAL?
WWE doesn’t seem to be in a rush to pierce behind The Undertaker.
According to Cageside Seats, “The Undertaker vs. John Cena compare during WrestleMania 34 competence not go central until a go home partial of Monday Night Raw usually days before” a pay-per-view itself.
WHAT’S IT MEAN FOR WWE?
The WrestleMania label has already taken shape, and usually about each vital compare on a uncover has already been announced.
There are a few exceptions, of course, and The Undertaker vs. John Cena is one of them. However, it has been utterly apparent over a past few weeks that this dream compare is etched in mill for WrestleMania, even if WWE keeps prolonging a central proclamation for it. Because Raw has consistently averaged some-more than 3 million viewers this year, WWE hasn’t disturbed many about a biased build for “The Champ” vs.”The Phenom,” that shouldn’t come as many of a surprise.
Raw already has a series of star-studded WrestleMania feuds building, including Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar and The Authority vs. Kurt Angle and Ronda Rousey, which, when total with a show’s other vital feuds, competence be adequate to keep a movement going as we pull closer to WrestleMania 34. After all, substantially all of WWE’s vital metrics (the WWE Network subscriber count, TV ratings, etc.) increase during or nearby WrestleMania, and a association realizes that, that is given it doesn’t feel a need to put too many bid into a biggest storylines.
Perhaps a suspicion routine is that holding off on The Undertaker strictly usurpation Cena’s plea until a go-home book of Raw could outcome in some final notation seductiveness in WrestleMania 34 when many fans have already motionless presumably or not they’re going to watch it. Truth be told, WrestleMania 34 is moulding adult to be one of a many star-studded and well-balanced WrestleMania cards in several years, so WWE isn’t going to be too fervent to give divided too many from The Undertaker.
As a result, that substantially means that Kane will offer as a placeholder opposition for Cena until Undertaker appears on TV, that competence occur usually once before to ‘Mania.
CHECK THIS OUT
Why a compare between these dual WWE legends does not make clarity in 2018. https://t.co/XHxJznATDm
— WWE Fanatic (@WWEkeeda) March 21, 2018
WWE Clears Daniel Bryan To Wrestle
WHAT’S THE DEAL?
It finally happened.
After hinting progressing this week that he competence be privileged by WWE to combat again, Daniel Bryan was indeed given a immature light to wrestle. WWE.com made a announcement, and a Wrestling Observer (h/t Ringside News) has a ton of sum on Bryan being privileged after roughly 3 years divided from a ring:
- There are no stipulations on how mostly he can wrestle, yet a expectancy is that he will work somewhere between 60 and 80 events per year.
- Bryan is approaching to group with Shane McMahon to take on a group of Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn during WrestleMania 34.
- Bryan will approaching sojourn with WWE when his agreement expires in September.
- WWE did not transparent Bryan usually to forestall him from withdrawal a company.
WHAT’S IT MEAN FOR WWE?
According to WrestleVotes (h/t Cageside Seats), “WWE approached Daniel Bryan about operative WrestleMania 34 ‘weeks ago’ and Bryan pronounced no given it wouldn’t be what he wants in that he wouldn’t do many wrestling and would take no bumps.”
But something apparently changed, and Bryan was given a OK to combat again and not usually for a one-off match. It looks like Bryan will be wrestling consistently for WWE going forward, and a expectancy is that he will be operative some-more dates than your customary part-time star would yet fewer dates than your standard full-timer does. That will approaching start during WrestleMania 34, where Bryan is substantially a shoo-in for a tab group compare opposite Owens and Zayn, generally after what transpired on this week’s SmackDown.
The wrestling universe is vivacious about news of Bryan’s in-ring return, and WWE should be too. The lapse of Bryan gives a association a bona fide tip babyface to build a blue code around, as during his final run heading to a categorical eventuality of WrestleMania 30 in 2014, he was selling some-more sell than anyone not named John Cena. That’s a attainment that many trust he can accomplish again during a time when a intolerable proclamation per his clearway should usually make him some-more renouned than he’s already been over a final five-plus years.
Suffice it to say, SmackDown desperately needs some-more star power, and WWE now has an present tip star yet carrying to pierce someone from Raw to get that. Although Bryan will not and should not be wrestling on TV each week or consistently doing live events, a 60-80 date aim indicates that he’ll have a unchanging participation on TV and on PPV events, that is about all we can ask for from a star who will substantially combat as many as WWE wants him to.
Thus, we can design to see a series of dream matches involving Bryan over a subsequent few years, with names like AJ Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura during a unequivocally tip of that list. But Bryan’s in-ring lapse will reportedly begin with some arrange of no DQ compare during WrestleMania 34, and he will apparently undergo concussion contrast after each compare for a foreseeable future.
CHECK THIS OUT
— SEScoops (@sescoops) March 21, 2018
AJ Styles Injured But Not Expected To Miss WrestleMania 34
WHAT’S THE DEAL?
However, according to Styles himself, he will indeed contest on a grandest theatre of them all. Here’s what “The Phenomenal One” told Catch-Newz (h/t WrestlingInc) about his injury:
If my leg got cut off I’d find a approach to make it to Wrestlemania…I will be wrestling Shinsuke Nakamura during Wrestlemania, don’t worry about it, it’ll be fine.
Triple H had a slightly opposite tone, however, observant a following about Styles’ damage and intensity WrestleMania status:
AJ is operative diligently on rehabbing his injuries and removing himself in tip-top figure for WrestleMania. We are perplexing to assistance him with that routine of removing a best caring and a best rehab and all else possible. We’re anticipating for a best. Right now he says he’s feeling a lot improved and will be prepared to go. Obviously we’ll get him doctors to make certain that he is prepared to go and get a medical clearance, if that’s possible. He’s operative unequivocally tough during it, so we’re anticipating for a best.
WHAT’S IT MEAN FOR WWE?
Styles did not elaborate about his injury, and there have been no other reports about a border of it, either.
Luckily for WWE, Styles’ comments advise that he’ll be good to go for WrestleMania 34, so those within a association have to be respirating a whine of service after it has been bit tough by a damage bug as of late. Marquee names now sitting on a sidelines embody Jeff Hardy, Dean Ambrose, Samoa Joe, Jason Jordan and Big Cass, all of that are coincidentally on a Raw code that has unequivocally felt a effects of those stars being sidelined for extensive absences.
Match and damage statistics from 2017 indicated that WWE was overworking a stars, and with Styles ranking among a stars with a many matches, it’s not startling that, generally during 40 years old, he could be traffic with some arrange of damage as he nears WrestleMania 34. It’s important that Styles did not combat during mixed live events on that he was scheduled to do so while he also did not combat a compare on final week’s partial of SmackDown.
In sequence to minimize a risk of a probable critical injury, WWE will approaching extent Styles’ effort in a evident future, generally between now and WrestleMania 34. That would positively be a right call given radically all of WWE’s tip stars are already deeply involvde in WrestleMania storylines, definition that if Styles was harmed and forced to skip a show, that would outcome in a series of indiscriminate changes to WWE’s biggest pay-per-view of a year.
Styles positively deserves a WrestleMania spotlight after carrying a blue code for a improved partial of dual years, and exclusive an variable setback, early indications are that he’ll be healthy adequate to contest during WrestleMania after he was added behind to this weekend’s live eventuality schedule.
CHECK THIS OUT
— WrestlingINC.com (@WrestlingInc) March 21, 2018
WHAT ELSE IS NEW?
- Viewership for this week’s Raw dropped by 25,000 viewers to an normal of 3.327 million, that is rather unsatisfactory given that Ronda Rousey, Brock Lesnar, John Cena and Roman Reigns all seemed yet not a large adequate dump to be too concerned.
- SmackDown had its best viewership given Apr 2017 with an normal of 2.888 million viewers, and it’s protected to assume that Bryan’s lapse is a biggest reason for a show’s large jump.
- Rey Mysterio is reportedly still deliberating a understanding to lapse to WWE, that could positively use his star energy on presumably Raw or SmackDown. In fact, Mysterio reportedly had his harmed biceps checked out this week “before attempting to pointer a new WWE deal,” indicating a sides could be shutting in on a new agreement after Mysterio was private from an arriving New Japan show.
- Asuka will reportedly stay undefeated until WrestleMania 35, where she’s approaching to face Ronda Rousey, presumably in a show’s categorical event.
- WWE is looking to pointer some-more Hispanic talent, that would explain reports of renewed seductiveness in Alberto Del Rio. WWE is also working tough to settle a UK brand, re-signing 5 UK-based stars and potentially creation swell toward commencement a prolonged awaited UK show.
- WWE may run some-more dual-branded live events going forward, yet that won’t turn a normal given a association generally likes to run apart events for Raw and SmackDown.
- Jeff Hardy is strictly training for his in-ring return, that is approaching to occur any week now. The same is loyal for Big Cass, who has been training during a WWE Performance Center and is also nearing his in-ring return.
- Bobby Lashley is expected to lapse to WWE presumably during WrestleMania 34 or a following night, and we can approaching design to see him get a large pull right out of a gate.
- Goldberg says he is open to a WWE return, and of course, a association would acquire him behind with open arms if a timing and story was right.
- WrestleMania 34 will last roughly 6 and a half hours, yet given that WrestleMania 33 lasted some-more than 7 hours (including a pre-show), it wouldn’t be startling if WrestleMania 34 indeed lasted many longer than that.
- There is a lot of conjecture that WWE could be repackaging Bray Wyatt after his detriment to Matt Hardy in “The Ultimate Deletion” match. Needless to say, Wyatt is prolonged overdue for a change, yet he does have a intensity to be a large babyface given a right push.
- Speaking of Matt, Vince McMahon was disturbed Matt Hardy’s “The Ultimate Deletion” would explosve on RAW,” according to WrestleZone. However, it was seen as both an party and ratings success, and it could pave a approach for additional identical calm in a future.
- The Greatest Royal Rumble eventuality will feature a whopping 7 pretension matches and will approaching be promote on a WWE Network. Given all a star energy involved, it would be ridiculous not to put this ancestral eventuality on a Network and wish it will urge a subscriber count.
- WWE is in discussions to pierce behind Hulk Hogan, and yet it’s misleading what his purpose would be, conjecture is that he’d presumably be an on-screen management figure or envoy rather than a wrestler. With Hogan being announced for a premiere of a arriving Andre a Giant documentary, that should pave a approach for his WWE return.
Blake Oestriecher is an facile propagandize clergyman by day and a sports author by night. He’s a writer to a Forbes @SportsMoneyBlog, where he essentially covers WWE. You can follow him on Twitter @BOestriecher.