This Week In WWE Biz: Ronda Rousey Plans, Brock Lesnar Vs. Seth Rollins?, Randy Orton Injury, More
May 19, 2018 - WWE
WWE Planning On Doing Brock Lesnar Vs. Seth Rollins?
Could “The Architect” be a one who slays “The Beast?”
According to Ringside News, “Mike Johnson speculated on…PWInsider Elite Audio that Seth Rollins competence be a subsequent challenger for Brock Lesnar’s WWE Universal Championship title,” indicating to Rollins’ “Brock Who” hashtag as a latest denote that Rollins could shortly step adult to take on Lesnar:
I’ve beheld newly on amicable media he’s been doing ‘#BrockWho’, so it would seem that Dave Scherer in presaging that Seth Rollins opposite Brock is a compare to demeanour at. He competence be right.
WHAT’S IT MEAN FOR WWE?
Rollins has been holding a lot of created shots during Lesnar during new promos, referring to himself as a fighting champion while blustering Lesnar for frequency ever being around.
Common clarity says that this is WWE’s not so pointed approach of environment a theatre for a argument between Lesnar and Rollins, who have a prolonged story with one another nonetheless never unequivocally got any closure for their argument a few years ago. Now, Rollins is being pushed stronger than anyone on a WWE roster, consistently carrying show-stealing matches and winning usually about all of them around 2018. Perhaps that has been finished by pattern so that Rollins, who formed on throng reactions is WWE’s many renouned luminary right now, can be built adult as a convincing challenger to take on and maybe even slay “The Beast.”
Lesnar will not work Money in a Bank subsequent month and is not approaching to combat again until SummerSlam, so if we’re going to get Rollins vs. Lesnar soon, SummerSlam will approaching be a time and place for it to happen. That’s when WWE’s TV viewership tends to peak and would put a many eyes on that bout, so if a devise is for WWE to truly rouse Rollins to a subsequent level, afterwards SummerSlam is as good of a time as any to do it.
WWE competence even select to keep a Intercontinental Championship on Rollins until then, formulating a champion vs. champion compare that could work wonders for Rollins’ career if he is means to improved Lesnar and spin a twin Intercontinental and Universal Champion on a same night. Rollins has resolutely confirmed himself as an elite sell mover and is receiving improved throng reactions than ever before, definition WWE should seize a eventuality to lift him to a moon ASAP.
Why not do it during SummerSlam by carrying Rollins finish Lesnar’s ancestral pretension reign? After all, during this prove usually he and Braun Strowman seem to be picturesque options to unseat Lesnar, during slightest on Raw’s stream roster.
CHECK THIS OUT
These WWE Superstars merit to finish what will be a longest universe pretension power in a WWE’s past 25 years. https://t.co/4BfL4xoWVX
— WWE Fanatic (@WWEkeeda) May 15, 2018
Ronda Rousey In The Midst Of Massive Push
WHAT’S THE DEAL?
WWE is all aboard a Ronda Rousey train.
According to Cageside Seats, “WWE is approaching to do a ton of broadside associated to Ronda Rousey and all she does on a U.K. tour. So design copiousness of videos and a outrageous amicable media push.”
WHAT’S IT MEAN FOR WWE?
WKBW in Buffalo, New York is graduation Rousey’s “Buffalo wrestling debut” for a Raw taping on Jul 16th, maybe indicating that WWE is relocating full steam forward with a large lift for Rousey that will see her combat many some-more than expected.
Rousey is in a midst of competing in several matches on WWE’s ongoing debate of a UK, and she will have her initial pretension compare during Money in a Bank when she takes on Nia Jax for a Raw Women’s Championship. According to WrestleVotes (h/t Cageside Seats, “Ronda Rousey vs. Nia Jax was approaching requisitioned given WWE felt they had no other options, ‘they can’t omit Rousey for another PPV, don’t wish her in a ladder match, can’t have her remove a subordinate match.’
That is a maze with Rousey, who is around many some-more than part-timers like Lesnar or Triple H and therefore needs to combat some-more mostly to equivocate a routine of consistently appearing nonetheless indeed competing in a ring. Of course, we could disagree that WWE is jumping a gun by putting her in a pretension compare in what will literally be her first-ever televised singles match, nonetheless WWE is barbarous for rushing into storylines, for improved or for worse.
It’s approaching that WWE officials are of a mindset that Rousey contingency be pushed strongly now given there’s no revelation what her long-term destiny competence reason (she pronounced this week she wants to start a family “soon”) or how her recognition competence fare. In 2017, Rousey was ranked as a world’s many famous womanlike contestant by ESPN after a unequivocally successful army in UFC, nonetheless notwithstanding early indications that she will be a lift in WWE, there is no pledge that she will have longevity as a tip captivate for WWE.
Because there is no such thing as a certain thing, generally in pro wrestling, WWE will wish to gain on Rousey’s movement while it’s still there, that explains given she’s removing a large lift both as an in-ring performer and by things like amicable media as a company’s many tangible star.
CHECK THIS OUT
— Pro Wrestling Sheet (@WrestlingSheet) May 16, 2018
Why Randy Orton Has Not Been On WWE’s Tour Of Europe
WHAT’S THE DEAL?
There competence be some-more than one reason for Randy Orton’s celebrated deficiency from WWE’s European tour.
Although a latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter (h/t Ringside News) reported that a interregnum was created into Orton’s accessible contract, WWE.com reported on Friday that Orton underwent medicine to correct a ripped meniscus. Orton had a following to contend about a surgical procedure:
I’ve famous we indispensable a medicine given late final year, nonetheless I’ve been watchful for a right time to get my knee spotless out…Right now was a right time.
WHAT’S IT MEAN FOR WWE?
A news flush progressing this year indicated that Orton would be operative a reduced schedule and would skip a ongoing European debate as “The Viper” seems to be resolutely confirmed as a part-time talent nowadays. Therefore, proof says that Orton delayed the surgery in sequence to have it during his designed interregnum while many of a WWE organisation was overseas.
Orton has a unequivocally singular agreement in that he’s around extremely some-more than your standard part-timer, including names like Lesnar, Triple H, The Undertaker or even John Cena, nonetheless doesn’t work as many as WWE’s full-time stars. As a 16-year veteran, Orton has positively warranted that right, nonetheless his absences from SmackDown are apropos utterly conspicuous due to a blue brand’s unequivocally skinny roster, generally on a babyface side.
While SmackDown boasts a extensive core of tip fan favorites, including AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan and Jeff Hardy, there is a unequivocally high dropoff to a subsequent tier of singles babyfaces stars, that explains given Tye Dillinger has been towering to operative bigger matches on a European tour despite frequency indeed being on SmackDown. Even nonetheless Orton is widely deliberate to be a improved heel, there’s no doubt that he generates improved throng reactions than a immeasurable infancy of a roster, and with SmackDown already carrying Shinsuke Nakamura, The Miz and Samoa Joe on a heel side, he’ll approaching be resolutely confirmed as a babyface for a foreseeable future.
However, even nonetheless Orton appears to still be a top sell mover and one of WWE’s many renouned stars, a terms of his agreement will substantially extent his lift given WWE won’t lift him too strongly if he’s not going to be around as many as stars like Styles and Bryan. Orton will approaching continue to be an top midcard babyface who is pushed morally when he’s around nonetheless disappears from time to time.
According to WebMD.com, a medicine could sideline Orton for adult to 3 months, which is an hapless mangle for Orton nonetheless ideally would outcome in some-more opportunities for other faces to arise adult a ranks on SmackDown.
CHECK THIS OUT
Interesting note: Randy Orton has dual televised singles wins in a final 6 months. #SeanRossStats
— Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful.com (@SeanRossSapp) May 17, 2018
What Plans Are In Place For Kevin Owens And Sami Zayn?
WHAT’S THE DEAL?
WWE is indeed going somewhere with Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn.
According to Wrestling Observer Radio’s Dave Meltzer (h/t Ringside News), a ongoing storyline involving Owens and Zayn, in that they seem to be friends one week and enemies a next, is building toward an contingent argument between a two:
They’re excellent again, they done adult afterward. That was afterwards and this is now. Eventually, they’re going to feud.
WHAT’S IT MEAN FOR WWE?
WWE has focused heavily on Owens and Zayn given they joined as an central pairing during Hell in a Cell in Oct 2017, nonetheless it’s been a rough float for a gifted duo.
While Owens’ high form purpose placed him among WWE’s 10 top paid stars, according to FORBES, and warranted him a new long-term agreement with a company that will substantially see him finish his career there, he and Zayn have, during times, been overexposed by a artistic team. Never was that some-more apparent than progressing this year when their rude participation on SmackDown resulted in a large ratings slip for a show and unequivocally halted their movement in a process. It hasn’t gotten many improved on Raw, where they’ve mostly been mislaid in a trifle in a sea of directionless heels.
The good news, though, is that Owens and Zayn seem to be headed for an contingent separate and indeed have a story of sketch good when feuding with one another. According to Meltzer around Twitter, Owens vs. Zayn once outdrew all other WWE live eventuality feuds for an whole calendar year, definition that, on average, shows headlined by that compare captivated some-more fans than any other categorical eventuality that headlined mixed residence shows that year. Thus, there competence be something there with a intensity rekindled adversary between dual stars who have been featured on WWE programming some-more than usually about anyone over a past year or so.
The apparent instruction for Styles and Zayn would be for a latter to eventually spin babyface again, nonetheless with Owens display some good comedy chops and doing good as a lift on a WWE Network in a past, WWE competence wish to cruise a change of gait for Owens by branch him face. That would concede Zayn to continue to flower as a heel, a purpose he’s been surprisingly good at, while giving WWE a possibility to see what it has with a babyface Owens, who has a in-ring skills and promo ability to lift off usually about any impression WWE could give him.
CHECK THIS OUT
— SEScoops (@sescoops) May 15, 2018
WHAT ELSE IS NEW?
- Raw viewership was up ever so somewhat this week, averaging 2.741 million viewers after final week’s 2018 low of 2.689 million. Considering that this week’s part aired on fasten delay, that’s apparently a step in a right direction, nonetheless a wish is that WWE can get many closer to that 3 million symbol in a nearby future.
- SmackDown scored a second misfortune viewership of 2018 (up usually 5,000 viewers from final week), nonetheless given that a uncover was going head-to-head with a NBA Conference Finals and also aired on fasten delay, that series could have been even worse.
- The latest news states that NBCUniversal will keep Raw on a USA Network (and potentially compensate as many as 3 times what it’s now profitable for a show) nonetheless will concede SmackDown to go to “open bidding,” definition that a blue code could potentially finish adult on a opposite network altogether, with FOX, Amazon and Facebook as a many approaching candidates. Either way, WWE is going to acquire extremely some-more income for Raw and SmackDown underneath a terms of a subsequent TV deal, whatever that competence be.
- The reason why WWE pay-per-views have been longer than a normal 3 hours is apparently so WWE can exaggerate on a financier discussion calls that fans are observation some-more hours of calm on a WWE Network. Well, that’s positively one approach to go about things.
- Chris Jericho indicated that he got a massive payday for his brief Greatest Royal Rumble appearance and suggested that, given how many he warranted for a match, WWE warranted a ton of income for a event.
- It looks like we competence get a large heel spin from Nia Jax during Money in a Bank as a car to continue a argument between Rousey and Stephanie McMahon.
- The new obscure engagement of Big Cass is a outcome of backstage heat from an occurrence in that he went off-script, and Bryan Alvarez of a Wrestling Observer says “this is not a initial time foolish things has happened with Cass.” So, don’t be astounded if Cass’ brief lift comes to a screeching hindrance in a nearby future.
- Hulk Hogan indicated that a potential WWE lapse is distant from a certain thing, nonetheless many signs prove to a “The Hulkster” entrance behind in a nearby future.
- Vince McMahon is apparently a large believer of Mandy Rose and has given her a gimmick that was creatively (and infamously) meant for Emma, a.k.a. Emmalina. Of all a women on a categorical register who’ve nonetheless to be featured heavily, Rose seems to be in line for a biggest lift of them all.
- Roman Reigns continues to prove that he does not see a prove of a heel turn even nonetheless “Stone Cold” Steve Austin is a latest star to contend that “The Big Dog” would advantage from one.
- According to a Wrestling Observer (h/t WrestlingInc), “WWE has recently sealed or offering contracts to around 20 indie wrestlers from a UK…WWE appears to be perplexing to pointer as many UK indie wrestlers as they can as a approach to keep them from a ITV World of Sport wrestling graduation and to do their possess projects.” Who pronounced there’s no foe in pro wrestling anymore?
- WWE will not concede Bobby Lashley to quarrel in MMA while he’s underneath agreement with a company. In other words, he’s not Lesnar.
Blake Oestriecher is an facile propagandize clergyman by day and a sports author by night. He’s a writer to a Forbes @SportsMoneyBlog, where he essentially covers WWE. You can follow him on Twitter @BOestriecher.