Raw got off to a unequivocally bad start tonight. we was prepared to write it off from a opening moments. Starting with a 20-minute promo and afterwards a compare between Mark Henry and Big Show is a certain approach to kill any movement a initial hour of your uncover should be building. Admittedly, a Rollins promo wasn’t that bad. Watching him prerogative JJ Security and Kane after they saved his donkey final week was fun, and it authorised Rollins to keep removing heat. He carried that whole promo on his own, and while it was overlong, it wasn’t terrible. Still, such a extensive shred customarily signals a garland of nonsense via Raw. When Big Show came out and afterwards a camera cut to Mark Henry backstage before a commercial, we consider we let out an heard sigh. We got adequate of that argument final year when they unsuccessful to blow it off in any suggestive way, so since do we need some-more of that now?
Thankfully, that compare is brief and a rest of a uncover has a conspicuous gait to it. we praised final week’s Raw for carrying a constructional throughline that done a wrestling around it improved by sketch concentration divided from a feuds and vouchsafing them breathe a little. Tonight’s Raw ditches a throughline roughly entirely–the Reigns and Ambrose vs. The Authority things isn’t unequivocally that hyped–and mostly focuses on a wrestling. That means there are a ton of opposite matches; accumulation suits WWE well, generally when your uncover typically clocks in during a small over 3 hours.
There are matches tonight that play towards comedy, some that are discerning and efficient, some that are mark fests, and one in sole that tears a residence down. Across 3 hours of Raw, we wish that kind of variety; it changes a gait and tinge of a show, never settling into a slit that allows we to balance out. Some of a feuds aren’t compelling, yet WWE has a low dais of talent, so a some-more wrestling on your categorical register uncover a better. Let’s get those superstars some critical TV time!
The best compare of a night is, of course, John Cena vs. Cesaro for a United States Championship, yet there are a lot of good matches on a label tonight. The Lucha Dragons and a Prime Time Players vs. New Day and Bo Dallas is accurately what it should be, that is a heel group being repulsive and infamous before vouchsafing a faces get their things in and obstacle some prohibited tags. we wish Bo Dallas continues to get work with New Day since his gimmick fits in ideally with theirs. we wish New Day to turn a fast of antagonistic wrestlers many like a Island of Misfit Toys. Adam Rose, are we feeling a small underused? Welcome to New Day, here’s some blue eyeliner! Ziggler, are we ill of being put into nonsense storylines and never being pushed to a top? Here’s a span of blue trunks and an enlightening clapping DVD!
Paige and Alicia Fox get one of a best Divas matches in new memory in as well. It’s still bizarre that a Bellas are unexpected heel again, yet a compare itself is good and a throng is clearly into it. Both Paige and Alicia Fox are unimaginable in-ring talents, so it’s no warn that with time they put on a show. Ryback and Miz get to work a fun compare that brings in a comedy we mentioned above. Miz continues to do good work as a chicken-shit heel, and that extends to his wrestling. He wrestles heel like few others in a business, and usually true adult leaves tonight’s compare when he’s had enough. It’s pleasing impression work and tells a story, that is all it takes to make for a constrained performance.
Even tonight’s some-more considerate matches exaggerate some plain wrestling. It still stays misleading since King Barrett isn’t being pushed to a moon since a man has a good pierce set, a good physique, and had a totally over gimmick before WWE took it divided from him and incited him heel. Now he’s stranded wrestling Jack Swagger, and no matter how plain a wrestling is, no one cares about a compare like that. Neville and Sheamus is many better. The dual work good together, their contrary styles creation for a constrained and energetic match.
But behind to a prominence of a night. John Cena’s U.S. Open Challenge has been a best partial of Raw for a prolonged time now, and this is a contender for a best compare of them all. Cesaro and Cena clearly have good chemistry; all a spots work near-flawlessly, including those pointless “holy shit” moves that Cena likes to lift out in these matches. There was no approach Cesaro was going to win, yet a dual guys sole it like he might; that’s a pointer of a good match, when we forget a plotting for a bit and usually get mislaid in a mechanics and emotion. Having Owens meddle and harm a compare for Cesaro is a ideal finish to a compare too. It not usually protects Cesaro, yet also creates certain that Owens keeps removing his feverishness and furthers a story that Owens won’t let anyone yet himself take a pretension from Cena. When we have peculiarity matches like this, and all a rest listed above, peppered via your show, your categorical eventuality can usually be a fun, earthy eventuality that moves a argument forward. Tonight’s Raw is, for a many part, engaging since it focuses on a wrestling initial and foremost, regulating a in-ring work to tell a story rather than rest on unconstrained promos and backstage segments. Sometimes it’s usually that simple.
- Results: Big Show degraded Mark Henry; Ryback degraded Miz (by countout); Paige degraded Alicia Fox; Owens pounded Cesaro so we theory he degraded John Cena by DQ, yet they never unequivocally pronounced since WHO CARES? THIS MATCH IS FIRE; The Lucha Dragons and Prime Time Players degraded Bo Dallas and New Day; Sheamus degraded Neville; King Barrett degraded Jack Swagger; Seth Rollins and Kane degraded Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns.
- I suspicion that categorical eventuality was a lot of fun, yet I’m famous to cocktail for Super Strong Roman Reigns, so take that with a pellet of salt. Seriously though, he’s good as a enforcer who usually wrecks people so it’s good to see him behind in that purpose though all a WWE Championship expectations.
- Cesaro tackling a STF into a sharpshooter was a best impulse of a night, hands down.
- I’m a small disturbed about how many Neville is losing, yet it’ll take a lot some-more waste before that man unequivocally gets hurt. He’s a extensive talent and we have faith in him gripping things going no matter what.
- “You gotta hang and move, Mark Henry.” we will always adore a Miz on commentary.
- I’ve pronounced it before yet we theory we have to contend it again. Everything about this Ziggler-Lana-Rusev storyline is terrible. Credit where credit is due though: Summer Rae killed it in a brief time she had on a mic.
- King Barrett has kick Zack Ryder and Jack Swagger now, so he’s totally on a upswing!
- I depreciate that Ambrose Asylum shirt.
- Pretty engaging that Rollins is consistently regulating a Pedigree as his finisher. Is that a holdover until they find something improved than that foolish mutated DDT they were creation him use for a bit? Sidenote: we really, unequivocally skip a Curb Stomp.