WWE SmackDown results, recap: The Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens loyalty is imploding
January 31, 2018 - WWE
The 2018 Royal Rumble has come and gone, so now it’s time to rigging adult for a Road to WrestleMania. Monday night, a Raw organisation started down their trail in Philadelphia, yet on Tuesday night it was a SmackDown Live brand’s spin to start creation a WrestleMania design spin a small clearer in a City of Brotherly Love.
As we saw on Sunday, a 2018 men’s Royal Rumble leader is from a blue brand. In what was one of a some-more sparkling Rumble matches in new memory, Shinsuke Nakamura emerged victorious, outlasting a 29 others including some large names during a finish of a compare in Finn Balor, Randy Orton and John Cena. Immediately after a victory, Nakamura didn’t rubbish any time in determining that pretension he will plea for during WrestleMania34 in New Orleans on Apr 8, job out stream WWE champion AJ Styles — who was also winning in his hitch on Sunday opposite Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn — and giving wrestling fans a dream compare they’ve been watchful for given a dual entered a association from Japan in 2016.
While we’re all vehement for a unavoidable showdown between Styles and Nakamura in New Orleans, Tuesday night’s post-Royal Rumble SmackDown was all about a implosion of Owens and Zayn, as good as environment a categorical eventuality for a arriving Fastlane uncover before to WrestleMania.
Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens implode
Tuesday night’s SmackDown Live got right to a point, opening adult with an entrance from Rumble hero Nakamura. In a ring, Nakamura ran down a list of names in Sunday’s compare who took a knee to a face for elimination. After using that list down, Nakamura — while indicating to a WrestleMania sign, of march — settled Styles would be subsequent to eat a knee to a face, creation him a WWE champion come WrestleMania.
This brought out everyone’s favorite best friends pairing, Owens and Zayn. KO went over how he and Sami were screwed over on Sunday by a arbitrate in their WWE pretension compare loss, providing visible justification of Styles pinning a wrong man. In what was a flattering comical rebuttal, Nakamura told Owens and Zayn that AJ is a leader while they’re only losers. Naturally, this brought out a champion. Styles let everybody know that a dream compare during WrestleMania will happen, and it’ll be between he and Nakamura. The WWE champion had an idea: He and Nakamura spin their dream compare into a dream group to conflict Owens and Zayn Tuesday night on SmackDown Live. Owens and Zayn were knocked off a apron by a ‘Mania WWE pretension compare participants, and afterwards incited down a tab compare offer for Tuesday night with an emphatic, “Nope!”
Backstage, SmackDown ubiquitous manager Daniel Bryan requisitioned a compare before dropping a bombshell: Owens and Zayn will block off subsequent week to establish Styles’ No. 1 contender for Fastlane on Mar 11. Later in a evening, tragedy was teased between Owens and Zayn backstage. The best friends seem to be imploding in expectation of their compare subsequent week in serve to what happened on Sunday during a Royal Rumble.
Owens and Zayn had a top palm together early in a categorical event, operative over Nakamura. However, with Zayn knocked out of a ring about median by a hitch and Owens yelling for him to get in a ring and help, even some-more passion was teased between a two. The aforementioned contention wasn’t finished between a dual competitors in subsequent week’s No. 1 contender match, though, as they vigourously slapped any other with tags before Zayn stormed off twice. After a final departure, Nakamura nailed Owens with a Kinshasha to get a win for his pairing with Styles. To tighten a show, Zayn told Renee Young backstage that he and Owens are still friends notwithstanding what we all saw out in a ring Tuesday night, yet he’ll be a one headed to Fastlane to take on Styles.
Aside from a witty small sell backstage progressing in a night, there was really small tragedy teased between Styles and Nakamura yet that’s ideally fine. WrestleMania is 68 days from now, so it was a right pierce to successfully group them adult to serve what’s function between Owens and Zayn. There will be copiousness of time for these dual to scrupulously hype adult what we all know we’re going to see go down in New Orleans. As for Owens and Zayn, a highway for them seems to presumably lead to a compare during WrestleMania. While, yes, we’ve seen this many times before on a accumulation of stages around pro wrestling, they merit to kick a ruin out of any other in front of a WrestleMania crowd. The engaging doubt competence be: Could it presumably be heel Sami vs. a tweener Owens?
What else happened on SmackDown?
- Rusev def. Kofi Kingston, Zack Ryder and Jinder Mahal around acquiescence in a No. 1 Contender’s match: With United States champion Bobby Roode on commentary, Rusev done Kingston daub with a Accolade to spin a No. 1 contender to a U.S. pretension in this Fatal 4-Way match. You’d maybe assume Mahal would have gotten another shot during Roode, yet it was a good warn to see a Bulgarian Brute get a curtsy here. Hopefully it’s a pointer they’re removing critical about capitalizing on his “Rusev Day” recognition and deliberation a bit some-more of a push. Rusev and Roode will block off for a pretension subsequent Tuesday.
- The Bludgeon Brothers def. Jobbers around pinfall: Prior to this compare holding place, The Usos came out to a ring to cut a promo on all a teams they’ve put in “lockdown.” This list, of course, includes Chad Gable Shelton Benjamin, who they degraded on Sunday in a 2-0 brush in their 2-out-of-3 falls match. As they were prepared to skip from a ring, a Bludgeon Brothers’ song hit, and they done their approach down a ramp past The Usos, apparently indication a subsequent argument for a tab champs. As for a compare itself, it was your standard squash, yet those demeanour to be entrance to an finish soon. These dual in a ring with Jimmy and Jey Uso has a lot of intensity to be fun.
- Bryan announces a SmackDown Top 10: If we missed a proclamation that was delivered by Bryan on Twitter progressing Tuesday explaining a new venture, we can watch it below.
- Carmella botches a cash-in attempt: Charlotte Flair was slicing a promo in a ring when she was interrupted by a Riott Squad. While Flair was means to deflect them off initially, they finished adult outnumbering a champ to leave her laying prone. This brought out a initial women’s Money in a Bank winner, Carmella, to a outrageous cocktail as Philly believed they were removing a cash-in — and with a approach Flair was laid out, we positively believed it was going to happen. However, Carmella botched her possess try when she knocked a arbitrate out of a ring with a dropkick meant for Flair, and she finished adult holding her briefcase adult a ramp to live to quarrel another day.
- Baron Corbin def. Tye Dillinger around pinfall: In a compare that was put together backstage progressing in a night by SmackDown commissioner Shane McMahon, Corbin got a win with a End of Days after a short, back-and-forth match.
- Chad Gable Shelton Benjamin def. Breezango around pinfall: Prior to this hitch being made, Gable Benjamin interrupted a backstage shred with Breezango and their poetic friends who competence not indeed be their friends, The Ascension. This was a discerning compare put together to fill time before a categorical event.